Spicy Paleo Beef Stew
Many people have heard me talk about my Sunday food prep, which include an awesome Paleo Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Quiche and a Paleo Banana Apple Carrot Bread. The one thing I’ve never got around to posting about is the stew that my fiance has been living off of for the past 4 months as his lunch. So … here it is 😀
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-2” chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 carrots, chopped into small rounds
- 8 stalks celery, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 3 zucchini, chopped into rounds
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I put a full one sometimes but that is your call)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- A palm full of Celery Salt, Marjoram, hymilaian salt, and pepper <– I’ve never measured this, just tossed it in.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Place stew meat in a glass or metal oven safe dish.
- Turn you crockpot on high.
- Add in wine, chicken stock, tomato paste, garlic and spices to the crock pot.
- Add the vegetables, except for zucchini, to the pot.
***This is when I clean up, and let the meat still sit out and oven heat, buys you some more time to get veggies soft. If you don’t want to clean, do something else for like 15 minutes, get creative 😉
- Place stew meat in the oven. Brown one side, flip it over, brown the other.
- Turn your crock pot to low at this point.
- When it’s browned, toss it in the crock pot with your zuccinhi and gently fold it in, don’t stir, you don’t want to squish everything.
- Cook for 2 hours ish, your meat can get tough if you leave it too long so I start tasting it after an hour or so and decide when it’s done.
It makes a ton, so we end up with 7 days of lunch for him, it stays good about that long without freezing. Enjoy!