I read this concept in Chalene Johnson’s free 30 Day Push, which was also in her book PUSH:30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin’ Body, and the Life You Deserve! and made a few tweaks. I am posting it here because I reference it SO much, I figured it should be up here. If you love it, BUY THE BOOK for sure 😀
Complete the Priorities Worksheet:
1. Priority Brainstorm: Use the area below to list any and all areas of importance to you in your life today. The bigger the list the better! Think about what makes you happy, what gives you pride, what you wish to be remembered by at the end of your life, what you want people to know was most important to you. Consider what makes you feel good about yourself, gives you confidence and what gives you pride.
***Set a timer and brain storm for 5 minutes straight***
2. Now star the top five areas of importance to you.
3. Next, write down your top three priorities in no particular order– Use just a few words like, “faith”, “family”, “Helping the underprivileged” , “Creating financial security for my family” “Helping others” “My health and fitness”, etc.
4. Rewrite the above list in order of importance to you.
My number one priority:
My number two priority:
My number three priority:
5. Take the priority you’ve listed as number one and complete the following statements:
*The reason why I have placed the greatest importance on this area of my life is because:
*I will honor my number one priority by vowing to do my best to always:
*The following action(s) would be inconsistent with my commitment to my number one priority:
*To honor my number on priority I will limit:
*To live my life according to my number one priority I need to make the following changes:
6. Create a Top Priority clarity statement.Be as detailed as possible. :
Examples: My number one priority is to be present and actively involved in the daily lives of my immediate family and to ensure a happy, healthy, safe home where my children have the confidence that their activities, personal development, and security take precedent over my career or personal pursuits.
My number one priority is to build my business by being present, disciplined and focused on serving my customers and committing to learning everything I can about leadership, management and business success and eliminating excuses, distractions and unproductive pursuits.
My number one priority is to fortify and honor my marriage by spending time with, engaging and working to help my spouse to feel important, needed, admired, trusted, respected and supported in our everyday lives.
From now on if you are asked to help someone, take a job, plan a vacation, spend money, go to a party, have that piece of cake because it’s so-and-so’s birthday. All you have to ask yourself is: “Does this align with my number 1 priority?” and if it doesn’t, you can say “NO” completely guilt free 😀